Dr. Oscar JoVan Currie
Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Oscar JoVan Currie, MD
Dr. Currie specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopedic conditions including upper extremity and general orthopedics.
About Dr. Currie
Taking the time to truly understand my patients’ needs is at the core of my care process. By listening and observing, my primary goal is to help my patients feel better quickly with the best and most current treatment available. I am committed to forming a treatment plan that will help my patients to resume their desired activities as soon as possible. When surgery is the optimal solution, I use minimally invasive techniques along with a customized post-operative program to speed recovery and restore function.
Dr. Currie’s special practice interests include upper extremity and general orthopaedics, endoscopic carpal tunnel release, minimally invasive distal biceps tendon reinsertion, pectoralis major tendon reinsertion, medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction, coraco-clavicular ligament reconstruction, and minimally invasive treatment of Dupuytren’s Contracture via needle aponeurotomy and Xiaflex collagenase injections.
Dr. Currie serves as Legacy Christian Academy School Board member.
- Undergraduate: Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Medical: Texas A&M University Health Science Center College of Medicine, College Station, TX
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: SAUSHEC – Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, TX
- Certificate of Additional Qualification in Sports Medicine
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Orthopaedic Association
- Jefferson County Medical Association
Awards and Recognition
- Outstanding Graduating Teaching Resident – SAUSHEC Orthopedic Residency – 2006
- Outstanding Graduating Senior – Texas A&M University College of Medicine – 2001
- Army Commendation Medal – 2008
- Air Force Commendation Medal – 2010
Research and Publications
- Currie J, Beall DP, Ly JQ. A Rare Case of Trevor’s Disease Involving the Fifth Metatarsal of the Left Foot. Foot & Ankle International 2003 Aug;24(8):650-2.
- Osborn PM, Ly JQ, Kendall KR, Beall DP, Currie J. Bilateral Complex Skewfoot. Eur J Radiol. 2003 Jul;47(1):60-3.
- Currie J, Tran H. The Effect of Decortication on the Strength of Rotator Cuff Repairs Using Suture Anchors. Presented at Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons 2004 Annual Meeting, Colorado.
- Currie J, Mubarak S. Ulnar Nerve Entrapment in Flexion-Type Supracondylar Humerus Fractures. Poster presentation at Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons 2005 Annual Meeting, Florida.